Friday, January 2, 2009

2009 Came a Little Quickly This Year

Wednesday night, we went into town to eat dinner with my wife's family.  The restaurant we wanted to go to was packed, so we went down to The Mesquite Grill - another new restaurant.  The restaurant wasn't particularly good, but it was nice to walk in and see friends at two different tables - that just doesn't happen where we live.  After dinner, we went back to the house and I worked on some freelance graphic work and then went in to visit with my father-in-law.  I showed him what I was working on and when I looked up, it was 12:03am, January 1, 2009!  I didn't see one second of Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years Eve or any other end of year specials.  It just happened.


The year also seems to have gone by that quickly in many senses.  In January, the Springs started their official gatherings at the YMCA.  In February, my son turned 1.  In April, my duaghter turned 7 and my wife turned...better not do it.  In May, I started work as a graphic artist at The SignShop.  In June we left for a great trip to Colorado with some great friends.  In July/August, I experienced my first Family Camp in Galveston with my friends from Snyder.  In September, we got rocked by Hurricane Ike.  In October, we spent Saturdays in Galveston helping new friends get things in order.  In November, we had a great time with family in Richardson for Thanksgiving - even though we golfed in the cold and the rain.  In December, we got the Chick-fil-A cow to ride with us on our float in the city parade!  Somewhere along the way, I got started with Facebook and I have enjoyed reconnecting with old friends.

We've had a great year, meeting some great new friends and saying good-bye to others.  We have walked the journey of sorrow with some friends, and frustration with others.  We have celebrated new kids, new neighbors, new schools, new friends and new jobs.  I have enjoyed this year and hated this year, all at the same time.  I love new things.  New years are no different.  2009 has 363 days of potential wrapped up in 12 months.  I can't wait to see what this new year brings.  Life is full of surprises and I'm sure this year will be no different.  No matter what tomorrow brings, I want to experience it fully.

No comments: