Sunday, April 12, 2009

What must they have thought?

I've been to a few funerals. Not as many as some of you, and probably more than others of you. I have grieved at the services. I've officiated services. I've observed and I've supported. For some reason, in our culture, we have a "viewing period," where the body of the deceased is on display for those who have known and loved that person to come and "pay their respects." This is usually done the night before the memorial service. After every "viewing" I have ever been to, we had a service soon after. Not one single time has the person got up and walked away, or not been there when we arrived.


In Mark 16, however, this is exactly what happens to two women, both named Mary. They have come to the tomb to anoint the body, probably to assist in reducing the stench of a decomposing body (The Jews did not practice embalming). This was an act of love and devotion by those who were closest to the deceased. They are going to "pay their respects."

As they approach the tomb, they wonder who will help them remove the stone and enter since they are but two women. Fortunately for them the stone had already been moved. There is a man dressed in white who appears to be waiting for them. Funny, but all of the caretakers I've met at viewings seemed to be in dark suits. I wonder if he had a better sense of humor than some of the ones I've encountered. But this was no caretaker. This was an angel, and this angel pronounces the most important occurrence in human history. "He has risen! He's not here."

Why was the stone not covering the entrance? Why was the body of Jesus not present? BECAUSE HE HAD RISEN! I wonder if they thought, "Yeah right...now let us see Jesus." Even if they had, their thoughts surely were erased by memories of what he had said leading up to his death. "Aahh, this is what he meant?!"

This morning, I celebrate this resurrection. Though today is Easter Sunday on our calendar, the day is no more sacred than any other day on our calendar. Jesus isn't more alive this morning than he was yesterday...or Friday. I don't want this morning to be different. I don't want to change for the holiday. What I do want, and what I hope to experience this morning is an incredible time of worship and celebration (not unlike other Sundays), where our minds' attention and our hearts' affection is set solely on the Risen Jesus.

For season ticket holders, opening day is not any different than any other day really, but there is something in the air on that day. Something special. Today their is something in the air...something special. Celebrate well today, my friends because the Christ is alive and not laying in some grave somewhere.

No comments: