Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Do You Know Your Current Location?

Today, I am pondering the thought of self-evaluation. In most areas of our lives, we realize there is a need for self-evaluation, right? Whether you are at the back of the local pharmacy checking your blood pressure, or doing a personality test at work, there is a certain value in knowing where you are. None of us particularly like it though. What if I'm not as good as I thought. If I don't evaluate it, then I can assume the best.


This type of attitude is dangerous. I think we all know it. It's like turning off all the dashboard lights on your car, just to keep the "check engine" light from coming on. Just because there is no light, doesn't mean there are no issues. I love my iPhone. One of my favorite features is in the Map App. Once you open the app, you can search for anything you want. The feature I like is in the bottom left corner. It's a touch-spot that allows you to establish your "current location." Now I can map a route or get a list of directions to the location where I want to go.

How do we determine our "current location" spiritually? How do we determine our destination? If our goal is to be like Christ, what does that look like on a daily journey? Most people just go along hoping that they get there some day. They fall victim to the ancient proverb: "He who aims at nothing, hits it everytime." At our church, we are introducing our people to a spiritual self-evaluation, if you will. It's a personal survey designed to help you see where you are in relation to 30 core areas of the Christian faith. Our desire is to provide our people with a baseline for growth. I am discovering that there is a certain level of discomfort in this process, though. Thoughts race through minds like, "What if I'm not as Christian as people think I am?" "Who else is going to see this?" "Will people think less of me if I score low in some areas?"

When we stop and see where we are on the journey, we will never be where we want to be. If I am at my destination, then I don't need a map, I don't need to know my current location and I sure don't need a list of directions. When it comes to our growth as a Christ-follower, we are not at our destination. If you think you are, then there might be bigger fish to fry than an evaluation.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts. Thanks for checking in on 4three4.

2 comments:

run4food said...

wouldn't you think though that truly we can't self evaluate properly due to our nature (fallen). the only standards we can apply are ones the world deems as "good" or "right" and I don't know if that is applying the proper standard. If we deem ourselves "ok" based on behaviors, I think we fall short of "true" evaluation. your thoughts?

Brad said...

In the recesses of every heart lies a darkness that definitely clouds any self-evaluation. This is why there should be an objective standard by which we are able to measure ourselves. Sure, we can still fake it, and if you do then you are wasting everyone's time. But, if we honestly approach it like David did in Psalm 139, then I believe God will honor that in us and lead us to a healthy spiritual evaluation based on what should be true of our lives according to the Bible. Then we can begin to grow strategically and not just hopefully. This is why our evaluation covers beliefs, actions and virtues, rather than just behaviors. When three others offer honest insight regarding our "fruit" it's hard to fake that. Regarding what we believe, the question is always "Do I believe it as a way of life, not just fact?" If we don't, then my question is "Do I really believe it?" Make sense?