Monday, June 8, 2009

It's Good (Can you hear Jim Carrey saying it?)

Yesterday was one of the good days. At the Springs, we moved our gathering outdoors to the pavilion at the Y yesterday. It's fun to just mix things up a little. I taught from Philippians 1:9-11, everyone ate afterwards then about 50 of us went to see the Astros play the Pirates. This isn't another baseball post, I promise (even though the Rangers did win to take 2/3 from Boston at Fenway). It was a good day because I have grown to love the people that call themselves Springs and I got to hang out with them for about 9 hours yesterday. I have to admit that I think I saw all of about 5 plays during the game - Pete, Stan and Eric got most of my attention. It's really been the whole weekend though. Friday night we went out with some of our friends from our community group and met up with some of their friends and had a great night in the park listening to a band called Funkshun - can you guess what kind of music they played?


I really feel some positive momentum building right now for our little church. New families are coming every time we do something together and I think this summer has the potential to be a bit of a breakthrough for us. Don't get me wrong, I have not been disappointed with our growth. It's been steady and those who have come have connected. But there is something very cool when a family shows up to our gathering for the first time and can spend the entire day with us because of the pre-existing relationships already in place. That's the beauty of focusing our attention to a particular geographical area. This doesn't mean that we won't have people from outside our "zone" or that we don't want people outside our "zone." However, our goal is to make a splash in the community on the west side of the highway, and that is where we are heading.

Philippians 1:9-11 is where I want to be:

So this is my prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well. Learn to love appropriately. You need to use your head and test your feelings so that your loves is sincere and intelligent, not sentimental gush. Live a lover's life, circumspect and exemplary, a life Jesus will be proud of: bountiful in fruits from the soul, making Jesus Christ attractive to all, getting everyone involved in the glory and praise of God.

Live it. Love it.

No comments: