Saturday, May 30, 2009

Sometimes Life Sucks


I am writing in response to a phone call I received this afternoon. A friend of the family had a grand-baby yesterday. Unfortunately the baby wasn't due until July. Mom was having some problems and went to the hospital and the doctor immediately came and checked on them. He ordered an emergency c-section and then had the baby care-flighted to the closest children's hospital. The doctor came out and asked the family if they believed in God or prayer, and said that they should because there was no other reason for the baby to have made it yesterday. Everyone rejoiced.


Today, the baby didn't make it. Brain activity had ceased and the mom was on her way to the hospital to hold her little one before they removed the breathing tubes. What an awful drive to the hospital for these brand new parents to embrace a child they will never get to watch grow up. Sometimes life sucks.

Even as I type this post, my fingers are punching the keys and I guess it might just be my way of punching my fists in the air. What happened to God wanting that baby to make it, like the doctor said? If we gave him the praise yesterday, what are we to do today? I don't even know the couple who are grieving like they never thought possible tonight. I barely know the grandmother who is wounded deeply in places that can hardly be discussed. I do know the God that was not distant from them on Monday when all was good, or yesterday when things were stormy, or today when all seems lost. The God I love does not leave or forsake us when things go badly...very badly. He knows more to the story than I can ever see, and His intention for us is never to harm us, but to protect us.

I know the "right" answers, but they seem so inadequate right now. I know that Papa wants to love this young couple through these difficult days, and I know He is big enough to absorb their fists and their fury tonight...and tomorrow. Sometimes life sucks, but our God is a life-giving Papa and He still offers to breathe life into dead places. Oh God, bring life and hope and healing to this family. Oh God...

1 comment:

Kris McLendon said...

*sniff*sniff*
Great post. I can't fathom being in this family's position, but I imagine it would be tough...and honestly, I know I'd be asking God, "Why?"
But as you said, Brad, God knows more of the story than we do. Soooo, does that make it easier to comprehend, if you are the one that has lost a child? I dunno, but I hope so....for that family, at least!!!